Monday, May 04, 2009

For the Love of Healthy Food!

Well... I am back! 3 whole days without a post from me. When is the last time that happened??

Let's recap the weekend, shall we? I know you're all curious to know where I've been.

Friday: Went in to work early, had a breakfast event at work, did some work, bought chicken pitas for Alex and I... came home and had pitas for dinner and watched Beverly Hills chihuahua (cute movie!). I also indulged in a cinnamon roll on Friday. Not healthy. Bad me. No jogging.

Saturday: A day OFF from both jobs. A day to myself. Ahhhh. A day of relaxation. No jogging. I did make a run to Ambrosia (my health food store). Look what I found...
I have to tell you... it is sooooo good! It tastes like a moist peanut butter cookie right out of the oven (minus being warm). I think it is my favourite Larabar (although, I do LOVE them all).

I came home and ate my favourite... sunshine in a bowl...
Later in the day I had dinner. I like to call it my "burrizza"... It's a burrito type pizza. I used a flatout, then some low fat refried beans, then salsa, red onions and cheese... Here is what it looked like:
Sunday was spent doing some grocery shopping and a jog before work. I decided to try something new (because apparently I have a 'bar' obsession lately).

I don't mind the Luna bar. I still prefer the Larabar though. The Luna bar is still 4pts and it reminds me more of a 'meal replacement' bar my mom would have eaten in the 80's and 90's. It's harder and a bit crunchier. I would buy them again, but will keep mostly with my protein bars and my larabars.

I also decided to buy another healthy snack...
They are crunchy and yummy! I think I will buy more at the bulk barn next time... as well as more wasabi peas!

I did some thinking on the weekend and decided to try something new. I decided to buy dark chocolate and allow myself 1-2 pieces a day. I hear there are some health benefits to dark chocolate (in moderation) and I'm wondering if eating a little each day will cut back on any sweets cravings that linger in me (although, I have to say I have significantly less cravings since trying to switch to my 'healthy' eating).
1 square is 1pt (and 2 squares are 2pts).

My challenge this weekend was to NOT eat last night when I got home (at midnight) from my sickkids shift. I am happy to report I managed to follow through... and the scale thanked me today by being 4lbs less than it was yesterday! Holy moly!! (side note: I also had some stomach issues this morning... so the results may not be the same tomorrow or Wed).

Today consisted of a 1hr jog and then going to work. My shin problems are rearing their ugly head again. Maybe it's the new shoes? Maybe it's me? I tried taking smaller strides today and that helped... by 1hr they didn't hurt anymore. Maybe my shins need me to warm up a bit longer in my new shoes... who knows. I will keep at it.

Here's what I ate today!
Breakfast: 1c skim milk (2) w/ instant coffee and davinci caramel (0) - yes, it was a cold coffee drink and not bad! sunshine in a bowl (2)
Lunch.. YUMMY lunch: ww toast (1), hummus (0), portabello mushroom marinated in balsamic and then cooked in PAM (0), cheese (2), lettuce and hot peppers (0), yogurt (1)
Snack: banana bread Larabar - YUM (4)
Dinner: salad (0) with 1/4c chick peas (1), 1/4c roasted soy beans - a nice crunch in the salad (2), EVOO balsamic drsg (2), yogurt (1), 2pc dark chocolate (2)
Total: 20
Water: 4L

My lunch sandwich... which was really yummy

Happy Tuesday! I am so sad to report I already know I will be 'sick' from work tomorrow. I do, however, feel well enough to go babysit Simon for the day (my sister needs someone as she has to work late and Jacob is out of town). I will leave here at 6am and likely not get home until 9 or 10... No jog tomorrow, but here's hoping for a nice walk with Simon. Pictures to follow!

No comments: