Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I want to run

My fittest friends run. My dad runs. Lots of people run. I want to be a runner. Seeing people jog on a sunny day… I want to be them. They make it look so easy. When I try to jog/run… I feel pain. My shins hurt so bad I can barely lift my feet off the ground.

My shins don’t always hurt. They get better once I get used to jogging. Right now… they hurt. Today they even hurt on my lunch time walk.

I decided perhaps I’d try buying compression sleeves of some sorts. I went to The Running Room after work to buy some. The very nice lady got asking me some questions and strongly urged me NOT to buy shin sleeves. She thinks I should properly introduce myself to running before I decide if I need a compression sleeve. I decided to heed her advice. She suggested I join them for a free run on either Wednesday nights at 6pm or Sunday mornings at 8:30. I am such a chicken though!

I came home and decided to ask the expert runner herself, Lynn, about her running experience. She recommended the Couch to 5K Program. To be honest, the thought of walking BORES me. BUT, I have decided to try it. My shins need me to take it easy on them… and maybe this will help me in the long run. I will start this weekend. Perhaps one day I will also try the free running group at the running room.

So… as for today’s food…

Breakfast: toast with almond butter, not pictured (5), apple sauce w/ spoonful of apple butter (2)

DSCN5343

Snack was an apple at my desk (1)

DSCN5348

Lunch was all over the place thanks to a 2 1/2 hour presentation at work. We had a lawyer come in and teach us about privacy/consent. I just LOVE listening to lawyers talk for over 2 hours (for those who don’t know… my beloved is a Lawyer). So… lunch was a taco salad with avocado, weighed and confirmed (2), cheese (2), veggies and salsa (0). Followed by a chocolate pumpkin protein cake (2)

Dinner was lazy… leftover FF cottage cheese (2), banana bread made on the weekend (1) with PB&J frosting (1)

DSCN5354

Dessert was the rest of my Liberte Lemon yogurt (2)

Total: 19

Water: 2L – thank you long-winded Lawyer… my water intake is down because I was stuck in your meeting!

Before we part ways for the night… I want to say a special

Thank you to Jen

for my blogger award… check out her blog! Jen, I will reciprocate tomorrow or this weekend some time!!!

5 comments:

Janna said...

Sorry your shins are hurting...I am starting Couch to 5K this weekend! Let us know how you are doing :)

Have a great week!

misssarahlou said...

I am on week 6 of the c25k, you should maybe start on week 2 if you really hate the idea of walking.

hope you enjoy it :o)

Anonymous said...

Hehe I seriously LOL when you called me an expert runner. :) Believe me I am totally NOT.

C25K is how I learned to run though, I did it all on the treadmill and then too it outside. However, the first time I went outside I thought that I was going to collapse. I could run for a full 30 mins on the treadmill and only 3 mins on the actual road. Two very different beasts. :) I suggest doing the C25K program outside so that your body adjusts to the pavement.

Jen said...

I want to run too!!! I feel like the biggest goon when I run though, maybe I should try the Couch to 5K thing.

hrclark said...

Couch to 5K is good, congrats on wanting to run,

My shins also hurt when I first started running, I found that I had to rest them and slow down my pace, that really helped.