Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pumpkin Pie Meringues

I started making meringues a few years ago after I discovered how easy they are (when you have a stand mixer!) and how low cal they are. I started with this recipe.  Eventually I took out the peppermint and started substituting other flavours.  Cocoa powder, Coconut, strawberry (the candy flavourings you can buy at Bulk Barn work well!).

A couple of years ago at Thanksgiving I decided to make them with some of this:

DSCN9342

Delicious.

Pumpkin Pie Meringues:

    • 2 egg whites
    • 1/8 teaspoon salt
    • 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
    • 1/2 cup white sugar
    • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Preheat oven to 225F. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil. Whip egg whites in the mixer until they form white peaks.  Add in the salt and cream of tartar.  Add in the pumpkin pie spice.  Slowly add in the sugar until you see this consistency:

DSCN9457

I use a piping bag and sometimes a fancy tip to pipe meringues on to the foil covered cookie sheet.  Bake for 90 minutes.

Here’s the final product.

DSCN9467

DSCN9472

Voila!

No comments: