Growing up my mom was always looking for ways to make cost efficient dishes to cook. This one was a staple. She cooked it for us when we went to visit not long ago and it became a hit with a certain Indian guy. It has now become a staple here. I thought I’d share… because it’s fairly healthy.
Mom’s Chicken Chow Mein
- 1 pkg extra lean ground chicken (or turkey)
- 1 onion
- 1c uncooked brown rice
- 2c shredded carrots
- 3 celery stalks (chopped)
- 1 can green beans (not drained)
- 4c shredded cabbage (you can put more or less if you like)
- 1pkg chicken noodle soup mix, dissolved in 2c HOT water
Cover and cook for at least 20 minutes.
You can serve it different ways. My mom likes ketchup on it. My dad likes soy sauce. We like Kikkoman Teriyaki sauce on it.