Wednesday, June 06, 2012

G-Free Crunchy Chocolate Squares

I decided to try to make my own gluten free, healthy, chocolate squares of some sorts on the weekend. 

I threw together a bunch of ingredients.

gfreesquares

I mixed them up.

DSC_0024-002

DSC_0021-001

I put them into a pan.

DSC_0028-002

I put them in the fridge them brought them out later to cut them in to 16 squares and eat them!  Delicious!

Don’t be fooled.  These are not low in calories (thanks to the coconut oil).  My Fitness Pal says they’re 195 calories for 1/16th.  I may try making them again by cutting way down on the coconut oil and using some brown rice syrup.

Here’s what went in them:

  • 2c gluten free brown rice krispies
  • 1c oats
  • 1/2c unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 1/2 scoops chocolate protein powder (optional – next time I’ll leave out)
  • 1/2c almonds, chopped
  • 3/4c coconut oil
  • 1/2c raw honey
  • 1/4c cocoa powder (could use 1/2c if you want)

Mix the first 5 ingredients in a bowl.  Mix the last 3 ingredients in a food processor (or blender) until whipped.  Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix them up (get your hands in there!).  Put them in a parchment paper lined pan and let set in the fridge for half an hour or so.  Because they’re held together by coconut oil, I keep them in the fridge.  Next time I may put them in a bigger pan to make flatter squares… maybe making them more like a chocolate bar.

No comments: